Come and Try Junior Paddling!
Families in our area are fortunate to be growing up amidst beautiful, safe waterways where we have many unique recreational opportunities. Sandgate Canoe Club welcomes juniors aged from 10-17 years to have fun, make friends, get fit and explore our environment, all while developing aquatic skills that last a lifetime. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never paddled before – you’ll learn all you need to know at our sessions!
Our junior squads are supervised by local qualified coach, Allana Bold from All About Paddling. Under Allana’s guidance, young paddlers complete their Basic Skills Certificate and can choose to take part in recreational squads (adventure, skills and games) or competition squads (fitness, technique and racing). To maintain a safe, productive class environment, numbers are limited to 8 paddlers/squad.
|You don’t need your own kayak!
We have age appropriate boats, paddles and pfd’s available for hire.
When and Where does Paddle Training Happen?
- Squad training is conducted in term-long blocks. Term 3 block will commence in the week of 10th July and run for 10 weeks.
- All groups leave from Volunteer Marine Rescue Ramp, Allpass Pde, Shorncliffe, with activities based in the reaches of Nundah and Cabbage Tree Creeks.
- Squad sessions run for 90 minutes, allowing for time to set up and pack up equipment.
- A range of training days/times are available, and paddlers can do one or more sessions per week.
- In term 3 our recreational squads train on Monday and Thursdays from 4pm – 5.30pm, and competition squad trains on Tuesday morning from 5.30am – 7am
What does Paddling Cost?
- All participants in junior squads are members of Sandgate Canoe Club. Our junior membership fee covers affiliation with Australian Canoeing and provides the necessary insurance. Membership runs from July-June annually and is $112.
- Squad participants wishing to hire equipment pay an equipment levy of $50 for the ten week program. This provides you with a boat, paddle and pfd (must be worn by all juniors).
- Coaching sessions with Allana are $10/session, payable at the beginning of the 10 week course.
NOT SURE? Come and Try! If you think you’d enjoy paddling but would like to see more, register for one of our Come-and-Try sessions. You’ll get to test out a kayak, meet Coach Allana and find answers to all of your paddling questions. Our next session is will be in the lead up to Term 4, and details will be announced closer to the time. Or if you just can’t wait, please contact Allana by email to see if you can slot into one of her squad sessions. Cost is $5/paddler. Bookings are essential!