Basic Skills Course – A Great Start for New Paddlers
The Sandgate Paddling Club Basic Skills Courses are run for new club members, primarily to ensure that everyone who paddles with the club has a certain level of skill. The course is run by fully accredited Paddle Australia (PA) instructors and certificates are issued by PA.
Basic Skills courses are generally held on the first Saturday of the month from September to May but we occasionally run Winter courses if there is sufficient demand.
Costs and Registration
The cost of the Basic Skills Course is $160. This covers both the course and up to 12 months membership to PA and to SPC. The cost is reduced on a pro-rata basis during the year which runs from 1 July to 30 June. It also covers you with PA insurance during the course and throughout the membership period.
The Membership Coordinator will provide you with detailed instructions on how to register online with PA as well as providing assistance with your SPC membership enquiries.
What to Expect
The course will give you a practical appreciation of basic paddling technique and safety. For a more detailed outline on what you will learn on the day, please download the briefing notes and AC course module below. The course itself can takes about 4 hours to complete, and you will be on the water in full sun for part of that time. You will get wet as part of the course involves a 50m swim!
We supply boats, paddles and PFD’s. Participants bring the following:
- Most important and necessary to participate! We will email you the form, please fill it out, and return to us by email BEFORE the day.
- Appropriate Paddling Wear – We recommend lightweight clothes that allow movement but provide sun protection, including a hat, sunglasses, long-sleeved shirt and board shorts.
- Sunscreen, water and snacks
- Shoes – water shoes or old trainers – not your best ones, they will get wet!
- Towel and a change of clothes.
Contacts for Basic Skills
If you would like more information about the course, please contact
Membership Registrar at email@example.com, for more details.
We will also require your contact phone number in case of last minute changes (bad weather etc).